Friday, February 07, 2020
Winter Walk Day in Collingwood - Wednesday February 12, 2020
On Wednesday February 12, 2020, we are excited to be participating in #WinterWalkDay!
Walking to school in winter has many potential benefits, including benefits for your child's health and well-being (like opportunities to learn and socialize on the way to school, and arriving at school alert and ready to learn), our community (reduced traffic congestion around the school) and the environment, too.
Keep active this winter and join schools across Canada to celebrate Winter Walk Day.
- If you can walk safely to school, wrap up warm, leave the car at home and travel to school on foot with your friends
- If you live too far to walk with whole way, try "walk a block" - get dropped off at a friend's house or a few blocks away from the school and walk the rest of the way
- If you take the school bus, walk to your bus stop or have a winter walk in the school yard at recess time
Walk with your child - Grab your mittens, hats and boots and join the movement! Complete the Eye Spy Activity (attached) on your way.
Winter Walking Tips:
- Keep hands and head covered to prevent heat loss
- On really cold days wear a scarf over your face and mouth
- Wear warm, waterproof boots
- Wear a warm coat that deflects the wind
- Woolen clothing helps to retain the heat
- Wear clothing or carry knapsacks with reflective material – it's important to be seen
- If possible, change wet clothes at school – tuck an extra pair of socks and mittens into knapsacks
** Share Winter Walk Day participation! **
#SimcoeMuskokaOnTheMove #WinterWalkDAy #Walk2School #JourneyOutside #ActiveSchoolTravel @SMHealthySchool